Sunday, 14 April 2013

Listening to self preservation

So, last year I was offered a free hearing test.

I accepted the offer because I'd been having dramas hearing my wife talking to me at different times. And I hate talking to people with lots of background noise.

You see, I started playing bass in a band when I was 16. That was 24 years ago.

Our drummer, was awful like the rest of us. He was also deafening. He made my ears hurt.

A lot.

I then played with similar drummers in other bands. I've played in orchestra pits, next to trombones, been to lots of gigs, used angle grinders, loud woodworking tools and raced cars.


I was pretty sure that my ears were damaged. In fact I was really worried about how damaged they were so I'd put off getting tested.

So I finally took the free test and it was hard work. Lots of quiet sounds at lower and lower levels.

When we'd finished, the tester told me, "your hearing is better than mine".

Excellent in fact. And I was stunned... But when I thought about it, it kind of made sense.

See, I've been wearing plugs ever since that first drummer. To almost every rehearsal and gig with a drummer.

I didn't do for safety per se, I just hated the way my ears hurt during the gig and then buzzed afterwards. I wear ear muffs with power tools for all the same reasons.

But the whole thing really made me think. What if I hadn't listened to my ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment