Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Overwhelming thankfulness

The church plant I pastor is made of up around 50-60 people on the average Sunday at the moment. They literally come from all walks of life and every continent on the planet. We've got new born babies to 80 year olds, university professor to security guard, fitness freak to computer nerd, single, divorced, separated, married, with and without children. There's not a heap of teenagers and young adults, but every other demographic is well represented.

Among that number, there are a number with significant health issues and disabilities.

And I mean significant. Some are so seriously afflicted they struggle to cope sometimes let alone have full time work. Some of the issues are from accidents and illness, others were just born with troubles that plague them continually. One of my own children is in the latter category.

I'd like to tell you some of their stories, but they are not mine to tell. They are also private and many of the people involved are not much interested in complaining. They just get on with life.

I thought I had some understanding of their existence and struggles.

I was wrong.

That's not to say that I'm insensitive, unsympathetic or whatever, but I really thought I had some idea of what they went through on a daily basis. I'm ashamed to say, the last two days have shown me otherwise. The last two days have opened my eyes to a whole new world of challenges.

Challenges that people I love and care about deal with everyday. Challenges most are blind to.

Let me tell you how my eyes were opened.

On Saturday I was coming home from music practice on the other side of the suburb. Where we live is largely flat. There are lots of good footpaths and smooth roads, so it's a boon to ride a bike round here.


It's ever more fun on a skateboard. Now I can guess what you're thinking... 
"That 40yo idiot went out on a skateboards, stacked it and now he's sooking about his injuries."

Actually no.

I didn't stack it. I just want riding along about 100m from home. As usual, I gave a push with my left leg to speed the skateboard along and, POP, itense pain and the realization something was very wrong. Initially I thought my son had run into the back of my leg with his bike but, no. I'd ruptured my calf muscle.

No stupidity, no dumb tricks, just a 40yo muscle tear. Apparently they're common at my age.

I hobbled around like zombie for the rest of the weekend. Finally got to the doctor on Monday afternoon. She said, "you need crutches and you have to stay off it for the best outcome". 4-6 weeks on crutches.

That's when my eyes were opened.

For anyone who's spent any time on crutches, you can guess what I'm about to say. For others, it began like this; Just getting home the shops gave me blisters on my hands. But it wasn't so much the crutches themselves that got me, it was the whole experience. Things like these...

Struggling to get dressed
Not being able to carry a drink from the kitchen to my office
Worrying about falling up or down the stairs
Negotiating shoes and clothes left on the floor left by my kids
How long it takes to walk anywhere
Trying to parent by remote control
Not being able to drive
Not being able to exercise
Needing my wife and children to do lots of things for me
My leg disturbing my sleep
Feeling like a weirdo at the shops
Uneven, sloping or slippery ground
Not being able to do important parts of my job
The shame of being a strong man who can't do basic things for his loved ones

Don't hear me whining or being dramatic. I'm not. I'm not really even in pain. However, this is my reality as I write. It's also the reality of many people that share life with in our church family. I just never really realized it before.

In three or four weeks time, I'm hoping to be off the crutches and back on my feet all things being well.

That's not the case for many of my friends and loved ones.

They will struggle, in some cases every day, just to get up, get dressed and go to the shop for basic items. They will have multiple bouts of surgery that might only marginally increase their quality of life. Their families will care for them and share their pain and burden.

From now on, I hope to share in their burdens more too.

I know all this seems a bit depressing, but actually I'm feeling very thankful to God. Thankful that by my minor suffering, he open my eyes to other people's real burdens. More than that, it's helped me to realize something else.

When God promises relief from pain and grief with Him, it gives us tremendous hope.

The other amazing thing is that it in the last few months we've seen God heal people in our church in ways we just didn't expect. As a church we prayed and saw God answer us time and time again.

It's left me remembering Jesus words to anyone doing it tough...

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28


No comments:

Post a Comment