Friday, 13 June 2014

I can't buy this "break up" album

I really like Coldplay. The cinematic feel, the sparse guitar work, the melodies and most of the continual artistic development across their working life. I own all of Coldplay's albums.

Well, at least I did until recently.

I owned all of their albums until the last one surfaced just a month or so ago. I'd been hanging out for it actually. I couldn't wait to see what Martin et al would come with next.

Until they told me what it was about.

Chris Martin and Gwynneth Paltrow very publically announced the breakdown of their 10 plus years together in march with a "conscious uncoupling".

Like many no doubt, I grieved a little for them.

When the album was released shortly after, it became all too clear that Martin was using it to process the breakdown of the relationship. The song, "Magic" is apparently a retelling of his continuing feelings for his estranged wife.


This is not a new development. Van Gogh cut his own ear off. Fleetwood Mac literally fell to pieces while recording "Rumors". Artists often use their work to process life issues.

But this time, I can't look on like some sort of voyeur.

It's like driving past some sort of marital road accident knowing all the while there are terribly injured adults and children cast about the scene. That's the hard part for me.

Martin might be processing publicly, but there are two kids suffering as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging either party. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to head up the biggest pop act in the world, let alone fathom what daily life is like for one of the most sought after actresses in western film. Their lives are highly complex places full of difficult decisions and expectations.

I just can't watch. I just can't listen and enjoy the soundtrack.

It just makes me think of two adults wanting to live and love with eachother and two kids asking and asking, and then eventually stopping asking...

"Why doesn't daddy live with us anymore?"

Man, even typing that hurt. Personally, I'm hoping and praying for a 'make-up' album.

In the meantime, my heart breaks for yet another hurting family.


No comments:

Post a Comment