Monday, 11 August 2014

Family ties - Iraqi brothers & sisters

I like social media. Who wouldn't really. More silly cat photos than you can poke a stick at. Videos about people falling off skateboards in amusing ways. Memes, updates, pics, jokes... the list goes on and on. So much fun, so many friends and family to catch up with and chat with.

But at the moment, the thought of checking facebook and twitter has me hesitating and tensing.

What is stressing me something very far removed from my normal existance. In fact, it's happening in a country and a place I can't really imagine, let alone understand.

Even still, I'm constantly reminded that people are suffering and dying.

As I sit in my comfortable office, at home, checking updates and messaging friends and family, thousands are dying. And they're are dying because they believe the same things I do. Because they celebrate the same things I do.


They're being killed because they follow Jesus.

I'm truly struggling to process this information. Children dismembered, elderly people left to die of dehydration in the mountains, women raped, men systematically lined up and shot... or worse.

It's like watching a road accident happen knowing I can do nothing to halt the car before the occupants die.

Pursuing hobbies feels terribly fickle. Laughing with my wife and children even feels shallow at the moment. Ebay? Internet forums? Playing guitar? What on earth am I doing these things when all the while multitudes of my Christian family are dying violent deaths?

There is a part of me that feels entirely numb, yet aching.

This is not a 'religious war'. This is genocide carried out against people who follow a man that taught us, "love your neighbor", and, "pray for those who hate you".

A man who himself died to save those who hated him.

At the same time, I know that Jesus promised death is not the end. His resurrection not only promises Christians new eternal life, it promises justice for all.




No comments:

Post a Comment