Friday, 2 October 2015

Do we love all our children? - Abortion in Australia

I've been in Goulburn this week having visited family. It's a beautiful place with lots of history and heritage you'd never expect to find. Every time I walk around the town I find things I've never seen before.



Near my relative's place there were so many interesting buildings that point to a rich and glamorous past. I was just knocked out them. Goulburn's history and importance is largely hidden these days.



On the way home I was listening to ABC 702 local radio. The news came on at 1.00pm and amongst the stories came up two notable reports. They came in this specific order...
  • Anti-abortion campaigner Troy Newman Australian visa has been revoked due to his pro-life stance.
  • The Australian Government is petitioning the United Nations to stop the practice of executions world wide. The petitioner to the UN is Bronwyn Bishop.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Werl, sort of. What I found apalling was the order in which it came. How could the news desk fail to notice such an obvious report of our cultural blindness.

Well they didn't make the same mistake twice. At 2.00pm, things had been shuffled around. Ms Bishop's efforts at the UN had been removed altogether. I could wax lyrically about why I think the ABC chose these stories, how they reported them and the bias involved. What I would rather say is this...

Abortion is a national tragedy in Australia.

I don't usually say much about abortion because, well, even thinking about the subject makes me want to weep uncontrollably. I won't be debating the ethics here. I just want to show you some numbers. I typed "number of abortions in australia 2014" into google and on the first page I was given this table...


Now even if we say half of these "procedures" were post miscarriage that's more than 6000 child deaths just in 2014. Just in Victoria. If we had a chemical or disease causing that sort of infant mortality, would we do nothing to stop it? More to the point, why is it that we find it hard to nail down the figures?
"Due to the lack of consistent data collection standards across States and the differences in definitions, it is difficult or impossible to accurately quantify the number of abortions performed in Australia each year.[20] There were an average of 75,700 Medicare-funded procedures that could result in an "abortive outcome" performed each year from 1995–2004, but it should be noted that this figure includes miscarriages as well as terminations. On the other hand, many women who have medical abortions performed at private hospitals may not claim the Medicare rebate.[20]" (wikipedia)

Wikipedias article on Abortion in Australia then goes on to comment that "Anti-abortion groups have been criticised for exaggerating the number of abortions in Australia" [100,000] after suggesting that 73,300 was the most likely number of abortions were performed Australia wide in 2002.

Just 1 Year. 73,300 Babies lives deliberately ended. 

And if we can't properly know how many children have died, it's impossible to calculate the effects on the expectant mothers and fathers of those aborted children.

Again, I just want to weep at the loss. So many beautiful, vibrant, young lives ended before they were even born. So many prospective parents who will some day be left wondering "what if?". Many of us have encountered in our extended families the loss of a child and the awful grief that goes with it. I can't begin to grapple with 73,300. Why is there even a discussion about exaggeration? The facts are awful enough on their own. Additionally, since 2002 many states have enacted "reforms" that allow for many more abortions.

I can't actually see what Mr Newman can say that will make our situation any worse.


I have three children. Last year, my wife lost our fourth in a miscarriage early in the pregnancy. It was very sad for us. I have countless other friends struggling with infertility who badly want children. I know others who have resorted to adopting from overseas. Why is it that we sent all those children to their deaths when we have parents, families, homes, schools, medical facilities and communities just waiting to welcome them and love them? How can we lobby the government to allow Syrians refugees into the our country, but ignore the plight of these unborn children?

Now I know it's not simple. I know every situation is complex. Every woman who has an unwanted pregnancy is in an unenviable situation. I know some children will die anyway for all sorts of reasons. But I have to ask. Can't we do better?

Australia, surely we love our kids more than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment