There's a possible vomit joke in there. But I'll leave it there. Anyhoo.
At the same time as saying "life sucks", we've got to, as frail human beings, take much of the blame for it. Right? It's your fault and my fault, etc, etc. Taking responsibility for the problem and apologizing. Possibly even offering to fix it up, as best we can.
But there are all those pesky people who won't own up. Aren't there.
Pesky bosses who won't pay workers properly. Pesky governments who insist on taking bribes or failing to provide a proper justice system. Pesky men who belittle women. Pesky companies that polute the water table. Pesky kings who won't listen to their nobles. And it goes on and on.
The $64,000 question is, "what to do about these people?".
Now, there are various possible, but not probable solutions. They may or may not involve violence, axes, firebombs, angry mobs and revenge. At the end of the day though, it's all pretty hard work. There is no guarantee of success.
In the western world, we've tried to give up on the angry mobs, axes and violence over the last 50 years or so. That's with good reason. The first half of the 20th Century was a pretty nasty place to be for the global west. Sure, it wasn't as bad as some other times in history, but the sheer number of horrible things done at various times has, by and large, put a lot of us off "ultra-violence". Which is a good thing.
At the end of WW2, people were left asking themselves, "sure there's a better way?". They were right. Guns, bombs and genocide. Changing things could surely be done a better way. Surely we could make sure everyone gets a fair go. This is what we ended up with...
Now of course there's a bit more to this, but I'll let you go and dig up the history for yourself. The important thing for us to understand is that this combination of words has defined recent history for us. Almost everything we deal with now is in some way effected by "human rights". This is a good thing for most part. It's good because it's forced most people to think beyond themselves. Specifically...human right
noun
plural noun: human rights
a right which is believed to belong to every person.
It's forced many people to think about the needs of others.
The Australian Human Rights Commission speaks of it in this way...
"Human rights recognise the inherent value of each person, regardless of background, where we live, what we look like, what we think or what we believe.They are based on principles of dignity, equality and mutual respect, which are shared across cultures, religions and philosophies. They are about being treated fairly, treating others fairly and having the ability to make genuine choices in our daily lives.Respect for human rights is the cornerstone of strong communities in which everyone can make a contribution and feel included."Great stuff. Except for one thing.
Where do "human rights" begin and end?
That is to say, where do we say, "that's a basic human right". Where do we say, "well that's a good thing, but you can live without it". Now some of you might be thinking I'm being deliberately difficult at this point, but think about it.
What is and isn't a human right?
I'm sure you could come up with a list straight up. You might include some of the following; Life, Water, Food, Clean air, A vote, A job, Somewhere to sleep. Anyone with a skeptical eye should already have noticed that even the first word is in the list has problems. Life. How can we guarantee that? If life is a basic human right, what about soldiers? What about uncontrollable murderers? What about those who desire to end their own lives? What about unwanted pregnancies?
See how fast it gets tricky?
But really that's just the tails side of the a problematic coin. What about if we flip it again and get "heads"? That's where it becomes a LOT more interesting in our prosperous western culture. It's an interesting dynamic that wherever people have much, they seem to desire more. As the global west has thrived and grown, things we once believed to be "wants" have too quickly become "needs". I regularly remind myself of how just a generation or so ago, professional musicians owned just ONE instrument. These days, committed amateurs regularly own more instruments than you can count on one hand. How is this? How do we have some much more and yet desire even more? We keep telling ourselves...
"I need this", where really we should be saying, "I want this".
What I'm watching is the same thought processes effect the way we think about human rights. To be honest, I know the selfishness of my own heart and I'm very concerned. What was once a way to make sure people were treated with respect is quickly turning into a weapon of entitlement.
I'm beginning to hear all manner of things described as rights. For example, freedom of speech has become, "I can say whatever I want". The specific contents of, "I can say whatever I want", appear to have little bearing on the needs of other. Then there are the material human rights; A fast internet connection; A new mobile phone; Disposable income; Comfort; Expensive hobbies. There are also social "rights"; I have a right to be happy; I have a right to have people agree with me; Grant me whatever ask for; Do not question my choices.
Human rights are fast becoming selfish desires.
This is of course not true for every new claim, but as it is the whole playing field has become so mired in problematic demands that it's hard to know what to say. Who is being reasonable? Who is claiming from real need and who is just acting out of entitlement? It's pretty hard to tell. Then there are the hidden agendas being dragged in by any one with an axe to grind. Yes, that includes some Christians. We haven't even got to "animal rights" yet. So what is the answer? How do we move forward? This is my approach.
I have no "right" to anything.
I'll say that again. I have no "right" to anything. I don't deserve anything. So what if I'm a human being? I know my own selfishness. I know the contents of my heart. I don't deserve what I have. So really I need to stop demanding things.
I need to be... thankful.
Thankful that each day the sun rises on my home. Thankful that I have someone to love and children who live in peace. I need to be thankful that the government in my country is by and large trying to do the right thing. Thankful that for as long as I can remember armed warfare has not directly effected me. Thankful for loving parents, a stable upbringing and a good education. I really need to be thankful for medical care. I need to be thankful for the freedom to vote, believe and speak as I like. Thankful for music. Thankful for opportunities. Thankful for food. Thankful for work. Thankful for rest. Thankful for rain. Thankful for so many small things. Thankful that I have been given the means to share my life, money and possessions generously. Thankful that I can act to help others in difficult situations. Thankful for each day as it comes.
Life does suck. I could easily list all the disappointments, losses and injustices I've suffered. They'd easily fill several posts. You might be saddened by them. But even if I did that, it wouldn't guarantee justice or happiness. Demanding that they be "righted" would no more solve them. Rather what I've found is that letting them go is better.
Better still is the prayer I pray daily.
Thank you God for everything you give. Thank you.





No comments:
Post a Comment